Contribute to the Magazine
Directed towards an international audience, Selvedge covers fine textiles in every context with illustrated features on fine art, fashion, interiors, ethnographic textiles, important collections, travel and shopping. The latest book reviews, exhibitions feature in every issue. The magazine provides a wide-ranging, unbiased and critical overview of the textile world.
The Selvedge readership is composed of all those who claim textiles as their first love, not simply makers and academics. They include professional artists, textile students, collectors, fashion and interior designers, museum curators and gallery owners. Selvedge is also aimed at an audience beyond those with an established interest in textiles. Discerning consumers are amongst our readers. Intelligent and curious they use Selvedge to learn about the history, techniques, artists and designers that made the items that furnish their lives.
We aim to provide a publication which reflects the creative lifestyle and tastes of this group without isolating or restricting readers. The magazine serves as a link to many other areas of interest, inspiration and knowledge.
Decisions relating to commissioning are based primarily on the quality of the images submitted. Selvedge is an image-led magazine and no writing however good can justify inclusion unless accompanied by extremely high quality images.
When submitting a proposal please send slides or digital files (300dpi jpeg or tiff files) that illustrate the subject, along with a 1-page outline and a prose synopsis of the article. Please do not send original slides or transparencies with speculative proposals as materials will not be returned. If the proposal is of interest, the editor will contact you to arrange specifics such as word length, angle and to schedule the article's appearance. Selvedge does not provide payment for unsolicited articles but is happy to publish new material that may be of interest to our readers.
Our editorial independence is very important to us and the integrity of the magazine. However, as a small publication with limited funds we do include a quota of carefully chosen but unpaid promotional material in each issue. Whilst articles and features not explicitly relating to a specific institution or product are all paid we cannot provide a fee for any feature explicitly referring to an exhibition, institution or publication. Through this we hope to achieve a healthy balance of editorial content.
We are a small publication with limited funds and . Furthremore, as a small To that end
Copy deadlines are final and are as follows:
|15 th September
|15 th November
|15 th January
|15 th March
|15 th May
|15 th July
Please adhere to the following conventions when preparing articles and reviews.
- Text must be supplied as an unformatted word document. Please send copy as an e-mail attachment. The number of words should be as commissioned. Please do not exceed this number without prior agreement with the editor.
- Publication-quality 300 dpi tiffs must accompany each article. Please lable images with the title of your article.
- Please supply an informal yet styled portrait photograph, which may be printed in our contributor’s section. Please include details about forthcoming books or exhibitions you wish to be publicised.
- Your article should reach the editor by the deadline stated on the contract. Any delay will result in your article not appearing in the agreed issue and may result in it not appearing at all.
- Our editing philosophy is to preserve the author's voice, while monitoring clarity, grammar, usage, etc. The editor reserves the right to edit your material as necessary to fit the style, format or other requirements of Selvedge magazine.
- Tear sheets of your article and payment will be sent to you and your transparencies returned following publication.
- All publication rights are retained by Selvedge and the author warrants that the same or similar material has not been sent to another publication.
- Selvedge pays a discretionary honorarium for commissioned articles at a rate of £10 per 100 words printed unless otherwise stated. This should be settled with the Editor before publication. Selvedge does not pay a drop fee and acceptance of an article is not a guarantee of publication. Payment will be provided on publication for the printed word count.
- No payment of any kind will be provided for articles that promote or publicise a book, product or a public event in which the author has been involved or has a commercial interest.
- Selvedge does not commission photography or pay photographers expenses. We are happy to review existing stories and buy images at a standard rate of £100 per page.
Book Review Guidelines
Please supply the following information:
- Subtitle (if any)
- Author(s) or Editor(s)
- ISBN No -
- Any other information (e.g. of supplier)
- Review Length- As specified
- Reviewer's name
Reviewers are entitled to keep the book as payment. The content of your review should not be disclosed to anyone without the prior permission of the editor.
Exhibition Review Guidelines
Please supply the following information:
- Complete Tour Schedule
- Review length– As specified
- Please send a copy of any exhibition catalogue.
You should provide a summary of the overall quality, significance, focus and context of the exhibition, and then evaluate selected pieces. The format of our exhibition reviews means we are able to illustrate a maximum of works from an exhibition. Not all work deserves praise; honest and thought-provoking criticism is part of the Selvedge ethos. Bear in mind that Selvedge has an international readership. A 'who's who' approach (a list of artists' names, tiles of work, and short descriptive phrases) is inappropriate. Similarly a list of award winners has little value. Reviews cannot be accepted where individuals have participated as an artist, organiser, curator, juror or contributed to the catalogue.
Please contact the press office to obtain publication quality slides (35 mm) or arrange for digital images to be e-mailed (300 dpi tiffs) of all the work cited in the review. Please submit an invoice for agreed travelling expenses and receipts with your review. The content of your review should not be disclosed to anyone without the prior permission of the editor.
Feature articles in Selvedge reflect the diversity of the field. The magazine welcomes challenging, informed and well written articles that have a genuine link to textiles. Very general themes should be avoided. Profile pieces on individuals, groups and companies are acceptable but must be written independently. Travel pieces should be discussed with the editor before undertaking a journey and arrangements made regarding photography and style. Selvedge is not an academic journal and material should be presented with an informal but intelligent tone. The maximum word count for any article is 2,500.
One-page short articles, news items and column ideas are welcome. The maximum length of these pieces is 350 words.
All written material must be accompanied publication quality images at 300 dpi tiff. The editor does not encourage individuals to write about their own work but is happy to view slides and consider commissioning an article. Please submit a minimum of 12 images and an artist’s statement.