On the second day of Christmas, we are giving away a Rachel Vosper scented candle collection, worth £240, to one lucky reader. To enter the competition, please click below.
Christmas wouldn’t be Christmas without candles. Before electric lights, people used candles to decorate their Christmas trees and their homes, and for Christians, candles also have a religious significance. In the cold, dark months of winter, candles bring light and warmth. In contrast to the steady bright shine of electric lights, the dance of a candle flame brings a flickering glow into the home.
Do you know your candle etiquette? Rachel Vosper has these instructions for looking after your candles:
- Do not burn candles for longer than 4 hours or less than 1 hour and never leave a burning candle unattended.
- To obtain an optimum burn always allow the entire surface of the candle to become molten as this will ensure an even burn and prevent tunnelling.
- Keep candles out of reach from children and animals.
- Keep wicks trimmed to 6mm at all times.
- Keep wax pool free from debris such as match ends and wick trimmings.
- Avoid placing a candle in a draughty area as this lends to an uneven burn.
- Allow your candle to solidify before re-lighting and always protect the surface on which the candle rests.
- To protect your candle vessel, do not burn right down to the bottom.
- To remove excess wax, leave your vessel in a freezer overnight to allow the wax to shrink. Remove the wax, rinse the vessel with hot (not boiling) water and polish with a soft cloth.
Rachel has been designing and creating fragrant candle collections for over 20 years, and launched her brand Rachel Vosper in 2011. Her London Belgravia flagship store is candle heaven, specialising in hand-poured candles and signature home fragrances. Her designs use hand-pressed glass, cut crystal and fine porcelain vessels, which create a unique dance of light and warmth. A unique aspect to Rachel Vosper, is its Refill Service. Customers can bring or send in a vessel of their choosing to be filled/refilled. This means that favourite vases, glasses, silverware or porcelain can be made into a personalised candle.
Today you have the chance to win a Rachel Vosper scented candle collection. To enter the competition, please click below.