Saturday 4 & Sunday 5 December 2021, Pattern making with Sarah Burns
Saturday 4 & Sunday 5 December 2021, 2-5pm GMT (Greenwich Mean Time, London, UK)
Virtual workshop hosted by Sarah Burns
Sarah Burns is a pattern-maker, textile printer and teacher. She studied Politics at Jesus College, Cambridge and Textile Design at Chelsea College of Art. Her fabrics are inspired by natural, seasonal materials and the places near where she lives and works on the South Downs.
Her fabrics are hand block printed in her Sussex workshop using natural foraged dyes and pigments and her patterns have been commissioned by the Dartington Trust, Virginia White Collection and Cloth Collective. She co-authored the first monograph on pioneering 1930's textile designers Phyllis Barron & Dorothy Larcher and is committed to pioneering the revival of ancient techniques like natural dyeing and block printing that don't are zero waste and carbon neutral.
Outline of workshop
In this workshop you will explore the world of pattern making - how to create and layer up your own repeats and most importantly how to create a sense of rhythm and harmony in your own designs which you will learn how to print perfectly onto fabric.
In the first session I take your through a series of pattern making exercises aimed at exploring rhythm and repeat and the full potential of the block, resulting in your final block print design. In the second session you will learn how to print your own patterns onto fabric by mastering practical know how around fabric printing with blocks and printing medium.
Material list (not provided)
- Old blankets and sheeting for making a print table
- Newsprint/lining paper to print
- Old newspaper and rags for cleaning
- Potatoes for making blocks for printing
- Penknife or paring knife for cutting the potato
- Black poster paint for use as a printing medium
- Sponges for applying paint
- 1m plain fabric like calico - washed and ironed ready for printing. If you can get hold of different weights of fabric we can experiment with these.
- Textile printing ink (screen printing ink should be fine - you can get this mail order from Handprinted in Bognor)
- Lino (Handprinted do lovely square backed blocks which you might like)
- Lino cutting tools (Handprinted)
- Heavy duty sandpaper
- Tray for rolling up the ink
- Textile printing roller and/or large piece of sponge (large enough for your block to fit on)
Workshop Cancellation Policy
All places reserved on workshops are non refundable, however, if you let us know you are not able to make a workshop you have booked at least two weeks prior to the event, we will re-advertise your place and refund your fee as long as we are able to sell your place and the workshop is fully booked.