Copy deadlines are final and are as follows:
|15th September||January issue|
|15th November||March issue|
|15th January||May issue|
|15th March||July issue|
|15th May||September issue|
|15th July||November issue|
Please adhere to the following conventions when preparing articles and reviews:
- Text must be supplied as an unformatted word document. Please send copy as an email attachment. The number of words should be as commissioned. Please do not exceed this number without prior agreement with the editor.
- Publication quality, 300 dpi tiffs must accompany each article. Please send as email attachments and label images with the title of your article.
- Please supply an informal yet styled portrait photograph, which may be printed in our contributor’s section. Please include details about forthcoming books or exhibitions you wish to be publicised.
- Your article should reach the editor by the deadline stated on the contract. Any delay will result in your article not appearing in the agreed issue and may result in it not appearing at all.
- Our editing philosophy is to preserve the author's voice while monitoring clarity, grammar, usage, etc. The editor reserves the right to edit your material as necessary to fit the style, format or other requirements of Selvedge magazine.
- Tear sheets of your article and payment will be sent to you following publication, which is when your transparencies will also be returned.
- All publication rights are retained by Selvedge and the author warrants that the same or similar material has not been sent to another publication.
- Selvedge pays a discretionary honorarium for commissioned articles at a rate of £10 per 100 words printed unless otherwise stated. This should be settled with the editor before publication. Selvedge does not pay a drop fee and acceptance of an article is not a guarantee of publication. Payment will be provided on publication for the printed word count.
- No payment of any kind will be provided for articles that promote or publicise a book, product or a public event in which the author has been involved or has a commercial interest.
- Selvedge does not commission photography or pay photographers' expenses. We are happy to review existing stories and buy images at a standard rate of £100 per page.
Book Review Guidelines
Please supply the following information:
- Subtitle (if any)
- Author(s) or editor(s)
- ISBN no -
- Any other information (e.g. supplier)
- Review length - as specified
- Reviewer's name
Reviewers are entitled to keep the book as payment. The content of your review should not be disclosed to anyone without the prior permission of the editor.
Exhibition Review Guidelines
Please supply the following information:
- Complete tour schedule
- Review length – as specified
- Please send a copy of any exhibition catalogue
You should provide a summary of the overall quality, significance, focus and context of the exhibition, and then evaluate selected pieces. The format of our exhibition reviews means we are able to illustrate a maximum of works from an exhibition. Not all work deserves praise; honest and thought-provoking criticism is part of the Selvedge ethos. Bear in mind that Selvedge has an international readership. A 'who's who' approach (a list of artists' names, titles of work and short descriptive phrases) is inappropriate. Similarly a list of award winners has little value. Reviews cannot be accepted where individuals have participated as an artist, organiser, curator, juror or contributed to the catalogue.
Please contact the press office to obtain publication quality slides (35 mm) or arrange for digital images (300 dpi tiffs) of all the work cited in the review to be emailed. Please submit an invoice for agreed travelling expenses and receipts with your review. The content of your review should not be disclosed to anyone without the prior permission of the editor.
Feature articles in Selvedge reflect the diversity of the field. The magazine welcomes challenging, informed and well written articles that have a genuine link to textiles. Very general themes should be avoided. Profile pieces on individuals, groups and companies are acceptable but must be written independently. Travel pieces should be discussed with the editor before undertaking a journey and arrangements made regarding photography and style. Selvedge is not an academic journal and material should be presented with an informal but intelligent tone. The maximum word count for any article is 2,500.
One-page short articles, news items and column ideas are welcome. The maximum length of these pieces is 350 words.
All written material must be accompanied publication quality images at 300 dpi tiff. The editor does not encourage individuals to write about their own work but is happy to view slides and consider commissioning an article. Please submit a minimum of 12 images and an artist’s statement.